Facebook Account Hacked? Here’s How to Report and Recover Your Account Easily
Here’s how to report and recover your hacked Facebook account!
Facebook is one of the biggest social media platforms across the globe. The platform has over a billion users around the world and naturally, it becomes the target for many scammers, hackers, and more.
There are several different ways hackers use to access a Facebook account.
It might be through a phishing scam or they might get access to your sensitive information. So, if you are one of those whose account has been hacked, don’t worry we are here to help you.
In this article, we have listed the detailed version of how to report and recover your hacked Facebook account along with some important tips and tricks in order to secure your account.
Learn How to Recover a Hacked Facebook Account
- 1 How to Know If Your Facebook Account is Hacked? : Recover Hacked Facebook Account
- 2 How to Report and Recover Your Facebook Account : Recover Hacked Facebook Account
- 3 How to Report a Facebook Account That is Impersonating You? : Recover Hacked Facebook Account
- 4 Tips to Make Your Facebook Account Secure
- 5 1. Act Immediately : Recover Hacked Facebook Account
- 6 2. Change your Facebook password : Recover Hacked Facebook Account
- 7 3. Not able to log in to your hacked Facebook account? : Recover Hacked Facebook Account
- 8 4. Password Recovery
- 9 5. Family and Friends Recovery
- 10 6. Facebook Recovery Links
- 11 7. If Everything Fails, Delete Your Hacked Facebook Account
How to Know If Your Facebook Account is Hacked? : Recover Hacked Facebook Account
There are different ways to tell if your Facebook account is hacked or not. First of all, you need to check whether there is unauthorised access to your Facebook account. In order to do that, you need to do the following:
- Go to your Facebook profile and press on the hamburger menu on the top-right.
- Go to Settings and head towards Security and Login. There you will see an option to see the devices which are logged in with your Facebook account.
- There, you can check for devices that are trustworthy. If you see any device which is suspicious, clock on Not You? Log Out option.
That being said, there would be other things that lead you to believe that your Facebook account is hacked. These might include:
- Your email address or password has been changed.
- Your name or birthday has been changed.
- Your account is sending friend requests to people you don’t know.
- There are posts on your profile, which you didn’t create.
How to Report and Recover Your Facebook Account : Recover Hacked Facebook Account
Facebook allows you to report and recover your account if it is hacked or misused. Here’s what you need to do if your Facebook account is hacked:
- Go to facebook.com/hacked.
- The first thing you need to do is select from the list of reasons. Once done, click on Continue.
- The page will take you to secure your account settings. Click on Get Started. The tool will analyse all the apps, password, email address, and more.
- Once this is completed, it will provide an option to change the password and review your email address.
- Click on Continue and follow the on-screen instructions to recover your Facebook account.
That being said, if the email address associated with your Facebook account is changed, you will still recover it. When there is a change in the email address, Facebook sends a message to your old email ID with a special link. One can click that link to reverse the email address change and secure your account.
How to Report a Facebook Account That is Impersonating You? : Recover Hacked Facebook Account
There are times when you see a Facebook profile that is exactly like yours. Well, this is a sheer case of impersonation or simply put fake accounts. If you or your friends found out such an account, here’s what you need to do:
- Go to the profile of the account that is impersonating you.
- If you cannot find it, search with the name or ask your friends to send the link of the profile.
- Click on the profile and then click on three dots on the cover photo.
- Tap on the Report button and follow the on-screen instructions to report for the impersonation of your account.
Tips to Make Your Facebook Account Secure
It is vital to make sure that you secure your Facebook account. There are some tips and tricks through which you can do it. Here’s what you need to do:
Use Two-factor Authentication
Facebook has introduced a two-factor authentication feature that helps you to protect your Facebook account. The feature allows you to enter a special login code to confirm your login attempt each time when you access your Facebook account from a mobile device or from a browser. In order to activate this feature, do this:
- Go to Security and login settings
- Scroll down to Two-factor authentication and click on Edit.
- Choose the desired security method and follow the on-screen instructions to activate this feature.
Get Alerts About Unrecognised Logins
Facebook also allows users to set alerts about unrecognised logins from their account. This security feature basically alerts when someone tries to log in from a device or web browser that is not from you.
The alerts give you information about the location from which the login attempt was made. Here’s how you can enable it:
- Go to Settings and click on Security and Login Settings.
- Scroll down to Get alerts about unrecognised logins and click on Edit.
- Choose where you want to receive your alerts, such as from your email account or with a Facebook notification from a recognised device.
- Click on Save Changes and the feature will be activated.
Log out From Your Account When You Use a Computer
It is always a good thing to log out from the computer when you are done with Facebook. Most of us tend to forget to log out from our office computer or laptop, which may allow someone to hack into our account.
Always Choose a Strong Password
It is important to use a strong password for your Facebook account. One should create a password that is easy to remember but difficult to guess for others. One should avoid using your email address, phone number, date of birth or more for creating a password. It is always advisable to use a combination of letters, numbers and special characters to create a strong password.
It is one of the most important tips of all time: Never ever share your login details with anyone. This is especially the case when you are online. Scammers may create fake websites that look eerily similar to Facebook and then they will tell you to log in with your email and password. Always make sure that you are using the right website. If you have any doubt, simply type www.facebook.com into your browser to access Facebook.
Always Check for Malware or Virus
It is important to keep an eye out for malicious software on your system. Always make sure to scan your computer for viruses, malware, and more and remove it on time so that your sensitive information remains safe.
What should you do if someone hacks your Facebook account? Below are the steps you can take to recover your hacked Facebook account.
1. Act Immediately : Recover Hacked Facebook Account
If you receive an email from Facebook about suspicious behavior, you need to take action straight away. The longer that a person has access to your account, the more likely it is that they’ll be able to change key information that makes it harder for you to win back control.
Go through all of your Facebook security emails and follow the instructions immediately. Click on “Change Password” and “Secure your account” and any other links that might help you regain access to your hacked Facebook account.
2. Change your Facebook password : Recover Hacked Facebook Account
If you can still access your account, then the first step should be to change your password. Watch our video tutorial or read our instructions below:
- Log into your Facebook account, click the dropdown arrow at the top of the screen, then select ‘Settings.’
- Now click ‘Settings.’
- In your account settings, click ‘Security and login’ on the left side of the screen.
- Please enter your current password and your new password twice to confirm it. We recommend using a password generator and password manager for security.
We also advise you to enable Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) that enhances your account security by adding a two-step verification system. This makes your account almost unhackable. Be sure to add your phone number and use the SMS verification system, not an app verification system. If you lose your phone and your verification app, you might not be able to log back into your Facebook profile.
3. Not able to log in to your hacked Facebook account? : Recover Hacked Facebook Account
If the hacker has managed to change your password and the email associated with your Facebook account, there are still ways to recover your Facebook. It’s even possible to recover a Facebook profile if the hacker has added a Two-Factor Authenticator.
The best solution to recover any Facebook account is to read all the different security email notifications received from Facebook and follow their instructions. Click on the links in emails received from the sender “Facebook” or “facebookmail.com.” If none of the links like “Secure your account” or “Change your password” help,
4. Password Recovery
If your password is no longer working and you suspect someone has changed it, then your next step is to use Facebook’s account recovery options. You can view our video instructions of it below:
- Go to the Facebook login page and click ‘Forgotten password?’
- Enter an email address or phone number associated with your account and click ‘Search.’
- Choose whether to log in via your email, Google account, or telephone number, then click ‘Continue.’
- Enter the code you received via text or email and click ‘Continue.’
- Enter your new password and click ‘Continue’ to confirm.
5. Family and Friends Recovery
If you can’t recover the account yourself, a friend or family member can help you recover the account instead.
Have your friend log in and go to the profile you need to recover. Click the three dots under the profile name, and select ‘Find support or report profile.’
- On the report window, select ‘I can’t access my account,’ then click ‘Next.’
- Click ‘Recover this account.’
- Click ‘No longer have access to these?’ at the bottom of the window.
- Enter an email address or phone number you currently have access to, then click ‘Continue’ to get in contact with someone from Facebook Support.
You may be asked to upload a valid ID like your passport or your driver’s license. Sometimes it asks you to upload it by taking a picture with your webcam. In that case, ensure that the room you are in has enough light to make the picture clear. All details must be visible, no corners of your passport or driver’s license can be cut. Once uploaded, it can take anywhere from one to two weeks to get a response from Facebook.
6. Facebook Recovery Links
Here are the best Facebook recovery links to try to gain access to your hacked Facebook account:
If you’ve recovered your Facebook account, you should follow our account security guide to keep it safe.
7. If Everything Fails, Delete Your Hacked Facebook Account
If everything has failed and you are tired of a hacker having control of your Facebook account, you can consider having it deleted.